Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Metta Sutta Part 2

I have really been into reciting the metta sutta to my kids when they go to sleep.  One night I was reciting:

To reach the state of peace 
Those skilled in the Good 
Should be
Capable and upright, 

Straightforward and easy to speak to, 
Gentle and not proud, 
Contented and easily supported, 
Living lightly and with few duties,








when my son interrupts and asks incredulously,
"Dad why are you talking about doodies?"

It hasn't been the same since...






3 comments:

  1. lol :) And the photo is perfect... Ahhh, kids... - ps. I'd love to be involved in the Buddhism/racism panel or discussion you're putting together - buddhistethics AT gmail :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm having a fear for responsibilities of raising any kids here. The quote goes well in this post :)

    They do give us the opportunity to view things with a selfless perspective. And that's the beautiful part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before we had kids I was petrified... but now I can't imagine life without them...

    Celestial Horizon - I see you're in Singapore? Ever make it over to Jakarta?

    ReplyDelete