Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Morning Reflection by Rev. Zenju Earthlyn Marselean Manuel


I am not free.  I am not free because I  define myself by the Buddhist robe that was given to me.  I define myself by titles like Reverend or Buddhist.   I define myself by my dark skin color and its history.  I define myself by my sexuality.  I am not free because I am still angry about what has hurt me in life.  I am not free because I want to be important.  I want to be heard.  I am not free because I have spent my life becoming, becoming, becoming.  I am not free because I have completely abandoned my true nature to be prosperous.  So, I have mounted a campaign of freedom for Zenju and for those of us who are trapped like me in the clothes that were given to us.

Everyday from this day forward arouse within the true being.  Be warmed and fed  by fire, cleansed and hydrated by water, touch your feet to the earth, and speak from the bones.  Grandmother says we could be beautiful if we could be true.

These things that we say we are only appear when we cannot see ourselves.  Identification may be necessary for the compartments of our brain but it is not necessary for our freedom.  Who breathes here is identified but goes beyond any identity.  Free Zenju, I say to myself.  Free Zenju. Svaha (and so it is)!
http://zenjuearthlynmanuel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment